Frequently Asked Questions: Motorhome Hire

Q: Can I drive a rented motorhome on my car license?

A: Normally, yes. The motorhomes available to rent through our site fall into two categories. Those with a maximum gross weight under 3.5 tonnes can be driven using your car entitlement, and the vast majority of rental motorhomes fall into this category.

A few of the largest models have a maximum laden weight between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes. These require a C1 entitlement to drive, BUT anyone who passed their car test before 01/01/1997 will have this entitlement.

Unfortunately, if you passed your car test after 1st January 1997, you will need to take a separate test to get full C1 entitlement, and cannot drive vehicles with a maximum laden weight over 3.5 tonnes.

Q: How do I know what size motorhome to hire?

A: If you are new to motorhoming, the best plan is to use the number of berths as a guide, plus any special requirements you have. For example, if you will need to accommodate 2 adults and 2 children, choose a 4 berth motorhome. This will probably have the right level of facilities for you, but will not be bigger than you need – making driving easier and fuel costs lower.

One tip is to look at the layout plans you will be shown when going through the booking process. These show you where the kitchen, bathroom, sleeping and living areas are, and will give you an idea of which beds will be most suitable for children, for example. They will also show you whether it will be possible to make up some of the beds while still keeping some of the living area available – useful for families with different bed times.

Q: How many people can sleep in a motorhome?

A: Anything from 2-7. Each motorhome on our site clearly lists the number of berths, along with a floor plan showing where all the beds are, so you can work out what suits your needs best.

By all means order a larger model if you would like a little more living and sleeping space.

Q: Do they have hot and cold running water, showers, toilets and heating?

A: Most of the motorhomes available to rent through this site do have all of those facilities. The size of the bathroom will vary – on smaller, van-type motorhomes, it will be quite compact, whereas larger motorhomes may have a little more space.

You will be shown a detailed list of facilities for each motorhome before you book it, so you will know exactly what you are choosing.

Q: How do the toilet and shower work?

A: You will be shown how everything works at the time you pick up the motorhome – make sure you allow plenty of time for this in your schedule, as it is in your interests to understand everything before you set off.

Q: How will I know how it all works – they seem very complicated?

A: The company renting you the motorhome has an interest in making sure you know how everything works – after all, it is less likely to get broken that way! When you pick up your hire motorhome you should be shown how all the main systems work.

There should also be a full set of written instructions in the motorhome to save you having to remember everything.

Q: Will I be shown how to use all the facilities when I collect the motorhome?

A: You should be shown everything you need to know – see “How will I know how it all works?”

Q: What is the difference between campers, campervans, motorhomes and motorcaravans?

A: Nothing! Although people tend to use camper and campervan to describe smaller “van conversion” type motorhomes, there is no hard-and-fast rule. Stick with motorhome and you won’t go far wrong.

Q: Why is a motorhome a better choice than a caravan?

A: Although caravans suit some people better, motorhomes offer much more flexibility for touring holidays. Unlike a caravan, you can take a motorhome to most places, can easily make unplanned overnight or rest stops and have almost no setting up to do when you reach a campsite – simply plug in the electric cable and turn on the gas.

Motorhomes can also be a bit easier to drive – most people are not used to towing a large trailer and can find it difficult to manoeuvre and especially to reverse! A caravan means the total length of your vehicle is much longer than a motorhome – making overtaking (even on motorways) more difficult too.

Q: How difficult is it to drive a motorhome – aren’t they very large?

A: On the whole, it is not too difficult. The smaller models, based on vans, are not much bigger than a large car and are pretty similar to drive. Larger, coach built motorhomes designed for families are slightly more difficult to handle, but they benefit from being based around modern vans, with good driving positions, large mirrors and power steering – so they are not as difficult as you might think.

Lots of rental motorhomes also have reversing cameras fitted – allowing you to see directly behind you when reversing – a great help!

Q: What is fuel consumption like on a motorhome?

A: Fuel consumption can vary considerably depending on the size of your motorhome. As a general rule, you should expect 30mpg + for small, van-based motorhomes, and 20mpg – 30mpg for larger, coachbuilt models (those with caravan-type bodies built on the back!).

Q: Can I take a hired motorhome out of the UK?

A: You may be able to if you arrange this when you book the hire. Several motorhome hire companies do allow you to take their motorhomes to other European Union countries, but unless it is stated in the booking you may not be able to do it.

Q: Can I take a rented motorhome on a ferry?

A: See “Can I take a hired motorhome out of the UK?” If your booking includes travelling to another European country, ferries should not be a problem, and may be arranged within your hire package – to ensure your motorhome has the correct type of space on the ferry.

Q: What happens if something inside the motorhome breaks while we are on holiday (e.g. the cooker/fridge)?

A: If this happens, you should ring your hire company and ask for advice. The equipment in motorhomes is generally reliable and is checked and tested between hires, so you should not expect to experience problems.

You will be responsible for ensuring that all equipment is operated correctly and may be liable for repair costs in the event that you fail to do this.

Q: Are motorhomes all right-hand drive?

A: All the motorhomes available for hire through this site are right-hand drive, unless stated otherwise.

Q: What happens if I get locked out?

A: If you are locked out, you may have to request breakdown assistance to regain access to the vehicle. This may be charged to you by your hire company.

Q: What happens if I get a puncture?

A: In most cases, changing the wheel should not be significantly different to changing the wheel of a car – so if you are comfortable with this, you can do it.

If you are not comfortable, you will be able to call out breakdown assistance. Some larger motorhomes may have wheels which are not suitable for changing yourself – you should be advised of this when collecting the vehicle.

If you are not then ask about it. Also ask to be shown the whereabouts of the wheel-changing equipment.

Q: What happens if I knock the wing mirror off?

A: Mirrors inevitably get damaged sometimes – if it happens to you, ring your motorhome hire company to let them know of the accident – especially if it was someone elses’ fault (take
their details if possible).

Your hire company may offer to get it repaired or may ask if you can manage without the mirror. If you do, be very careful when pulling out at junctions and when overtaking – your rear and side views will be limited and may have large blind spots.

You may have to pay an insurance excess to cover the damage – check the terms and conditions of your hire agreement.

Be aware that UK law requires passenger vehicles to have an offside wing mirror AND an interior rear view mirror OR a nearside wing mirror at all times.

Q: What happens if I am in a collison?

A: Make sure you exchange details with any other parties involved. If the accident is reported to the police, make sure you get a reference number from them. You should also report the
accident to your hire company as soon as possible. Click here for Highway Code advice on
documentation and how to deal with a collision.

If anyone is hurt, you must report the accident to the police.

Your hire company will assist with recovery and repair arrangements if needed. Read the terms and conditions of your hire carefully when booking – you may be liable for an excess payment in the event of an insurance claim.

Additionally, you will probably be liable for the full cost of any damage or problems that are due to misuse or failure to follow operating instructions.

Remember to inform your hire company as soon as possible.

Q: What happens if I breakdown?

A: You will be given the number of a breakdown assistance service to call when you collect the motorhome.

Simply call this number for assistance and also call the hire company to inform them of the problem. Any repair costs may need to be authorised by your hire company before proceeding – make sure you check with them.

Q: Can I park up for the night anywhere I like in a motorhome?

A: Not exactly. If you are stopping for the night you will need to check whether there are any restrictions on parking, overnight parking or sleeping in vehicles – all of these are quite common, especially in local council car parks in tourist areas.

If you are on a major road, then it shouldn’t be a problem – there are normally plenty of laybys which allow free overnight use. Motorway service areas also allow 24 hour parking for motorhomes (for a fee).

Despite the restrictions, there are still plenty of places dotted around the countryside where you can park – often in quite beautiful, rural locations. The trick is to check signs carefully and ask if necessary.

To help you get going, here is a link to a site which provides access to several lists of “wild camping” locations: (opens in new window)

Needless to say, the UK is very well-endowed with (often) quite cheap campsites – these have the advantage of providing guaranteed facilities to fill and empty water and waste tanks, as well as toilets.

Q: What is a C1 licence, where can I get one and do I need one?

A: C1 is the driving licence category that enables you to drive goods vehicles of up to 7.5 tonnes laden weight. Large motorhomes normally come into this category, as long as they don’t have an unusually high number of seats.

Very few hire motorhomes require a C1 licence, as motorhomes in this category tend to be extremely large and expensive and are not as suitable for inexperienced rental drivers.

However, there are a few around, so if you think you might be driving one, check your license. As a general rule, anyone who took their car (category B) driving test before 01/01/1997 will have C1 entitlement on their licence – you used to get it “for free”!

Anyone who has taken their car test since 01/01/1997 will not have C1 entitlement. Unfortunately a test is required, taken in a suitable vehicle. This is unlikely to be worthwhile for holiday/rental use – unless you really need it.

See for more driving licence information.

Q: What are the insurance arrangements for a hired motorhome?

A: Your hired motorhome will have suitable insurance to cover damage or loss of the vehicle as the result of a traffic accident or crime. This insurance will have a fairly high excess, however – perhaps around £500.

There may also be exclusions from the insurance, such as damage to glass/windows and height-related damage – where you have driven into something overhead.

In these cases you may have to pay the full cost of any repairs.

Terms & Conditions vary between different suppliers – it is your responsibility to read the Terms & Conditions when booking.

Q: Can I take a bicycle with me?

You may be able to take 1-2 bikes with you – check whether your hire company can provide you with a bike rack for your motorhome.

It’s unlikely they will be happy with you transporting bikes inside the home (other than childrens’ bikes too small to fit on a rack).

Q: Can I cancel my rental motorhome after I’ve booked?

Cancellations can prove expensive, depending on how far in advance you cancel. Check the Terms & Conditions when you book.

Q: Can I have more than one driver?

This is usually (but not always) possible. There is normally a small extra charge per additional driver, but it is fairly common to have two drivers. Both drivers will need to produce valid driving licences that meet the hire company’s conditions.

Make sure you provide details of the additional driver when booking, if possible.